- A freshwater cichlid fish that protects its eggs (and in some cases its young) by carrying them in its mouth.
More example sentences
- Sarotherodon and other genera, family Cichlidae
- Like them, they are polygamous mouthbrooders with no pair bonds and a tendency to harass females.
- But his head did not look swollen, like so many other mouthbrooders do when they are holding eggs or fry.
- Also from what I've heard, keyholes, festivum and kribs are not mouthbrooders; can you confirm this?
More definitions of mouthbrooderDefinition of mouthbrooder in:
- The British & World English dictionary