Definition of mouthbrooder in English:
A freshwater cichlid fish that protects its eggs (and in some cases its young) by carrying them in its mouth.
- Sarotherodon and other genera, family Cichlidae
- Like them, they are polygamous mouthbrooders with no pair bonds and a tendency to harass females.
- But his head did not look swollen, like so many other mouthbrooders do when they are holding eggs or fry.
- Also from what I've heard, keyholes, festivum and kribs are not mouthbrooders; can you confirm this?
Definition of mouthbrooder in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia