Definition of mud turtle in English:
Any of a number of drab-colored freshwater turtles that often crawl onto mudbanks, in particular.
- ● An American turtle with scent glands that produce an unpleasant odor (genus Kinosternon, family Kinosternidae). ● An African side-necked turtle (genus Pelusios, family Pelomedusidae). ● An Asian soft-shell (genera Lissemys and Pelochelys, family Trionychidae).
- Some, such as the yellow mud turtle, burrow deeper into the soil shortly after hatching, finding safety below the frost line.
- In 2002, the Arizona Game and Fish Department began working to develop a conservation agreement for the Sonoyta mud turtle, which is a candidate for listing under the Endangered Species Act.
- Suspended languidly in the water, a Sonoran mud turtle poked about slowly, ‘going nowhere in plenty of time,’ as N. Scott Momaday would say.
Definition of mud turtle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan