Definition of mud turtle in English:
Any of a number of drab-colored freshwater turtles that often crawl onto mudbanks, in particular.
- ● An American turtle with scent glands that produce an unpleasant odor (genus Kinosternon, family Kinosternidae). ● An African side-necked turtle (genus Pelusios, family Pelomedusidae). ● An Asian soft-shell (genera Lissemys and Pelochelys, family Trionychidae).
- Some, such as the yellow mud turtle, burrow deeper into the soil shortly after hatching, finding safety below the frost line.
- In 2002, the Arizona Game and Fish Department began working to develop a conservation agreement for the Sonoyta mud turtle, which is a candidate for listing under the Endangered Species Act.
- Suspended languidly in the water, a Sonoran mud turtle poked about slowly, ‘going nowhere in plenty of time,’ as N. Scott Momaday would say.
Definition of mud turtle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.