Definition of mudfish in English:
noun (plural same or mudfishes)
1Any of a number of elongated fish that are able to survive long periods of drought by burrowing in the mud.
- ● A New Zealand fish (genus Neochanna, family Galaxiidae). ● An African lungfish (Protopterus annectens, family Protopteridae).
- They are later harvested, but fish diversity is reduced as the fishermen's catch is dominated by mudfish, a hardy member of the catfish family that survives in dried-up river- and lakebeds.
- The loss of 85 95% of New Zealands original wetlands were disastrous for mudfish habitats.
- The mudfish was a common motif in Benin art, sometimes acting as a royal symbol.
Words that rhyme with mudfishmonkfish • cuttlefish
Definition of mudfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan