Definition of mudfish in English:
noun (plural same or mudfishes)
1Any of a number of elongated fish that are able to survive long periods of drought by burrowing in the mud.
- ● A New Zealand fish (genus Neochanna, family Galaxiidae). ● An African lungfish (Protopterus annectens, family Protopteridae).
- They are later harvested, but fish diversity is reduced as the fishermen's catch is dominated by mudfish, a hardy member of the catfish family that survives in dried-up river- and lakebeds.
- The loss of 85 95% of New Zealands original wetlands were disastrous for mudfish habitats.
- The mudfish was a common motif in Benin art, sometimes acting as a royal symbol.
Words that rhyme with mudfishmonkfish • cuttlefish
Definition of mudfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.