- A dark sedimentary rock formed from consolidated mud and lacking the laminations of shale.More example sentences
- The sedimentary lenses are composed of limestone, sandstone, siltstone, mudstone, shale, chert and well-bedded calci-turbidite.
- The matrix varies in composition from black shale to carbonate mudstone and quartzose siltstone.
- The upper contacts are mostly sharp and overlain by interbedded mudstone, dark brown mudstone, laminated mudstone and occasionally fine-grained sandstone.
More definitions of mudstoneDefinition of mudstone in:
- The British & World English dictionary