Definition of mullein in English:
A herbaceous plant of the figwort family with woolly leaves and tall spikes of yellow flowers, native to Eurasia but now widely and commonly distributed.
- Genus Verbascum, family Scrophulariaceae: several species, in particular the widespread common (or great) mullein (V. thapsus)
- Ilexes and oleanders line the roadside; tall yellow mulleins and apricot hollyhocks spring up in the screes above.
- The yellow flower spikes of a dwarf mullein or verbascum and the delicate white and pink trumpets of a creeping convolvulus defied my attempts at precise identification but were delightful nevertheless.
- I'm a great fan of verbascum or mulleins, to give them their common name, not least because they self-seed prolifically, leaving little room for weeds to flourish and filling the borders florifically.
Definition of mullein in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.