Definition of multigrade in English:
1An engine oil meeting the requirements of several standard grades.
- ‘Use multigrade oil in your engine because it reduces drag, service your car regularly, use a logbook to record your fuel purchases and establish lift clubs where possible’, she said.
- It's proven to provide better rust protection than standard monograde and multigrade oils when subjected to the industry-standard humidity cabinet test.
- For example, it is possible to decrease the amount of fuel consumed by modern cars by up to 5% simply by switching from a typical multigrade oil to a ‘friction-modified ‘lubricant with a lower viscosity.’
2 (Multigrade) trademark A kind of photographic paper made with two emulsions of different sensitivities, from which prints with different levels of contrast can be made using color filters: [as modifier]: Multigrade paper
More example sentences
- It has a dial-type timer, instead of one which displays the numbers like a digital clock, and it has a swing-out red filter from before the time of multigrade papers.
- I bid on a set of multigrade filters for adjusting the contrast of your print and then, after finding only one working example at college, also bid on a focus finder.
Definition of multigrade in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan