Definition of multiplex in English:
1Consisting of many elements in a complex relationship: multiplex ties of work and friendship
More example sentences
- In the cluster of four there are multiplex relationships.
- Few studies have shown the effects of multiplex network relationships on firm outcomes.
- The multiplex strategy allowed us to run the complete set of selective amplifications for 10 individuals on one gel for a total of 24 gels.
1.1Involving simultaneous transmission of several messages along a single channel of communication.
- Comcast revamped its digital offering earlier this month to include a slew of digital satellite services in addition to the slate of multiplex and PPV channels that dominated the package before now.
- Most premium programmers offer a variety of multiplex channels on digital tiers to rotate their movie libraries, at no extra cost to the operator.
- If approved, the gateway assigns a conventional cable channel and multiplex stream for the movie.
1.2(Of a movie theater) having several separate screens within one building.
- A previous plan for a double fronted ‘mirror’ building with a multiplex cinema, a family entertainments centre and a pub-restaurant, has been on the shelf since it was approved six years ago.
- Four taxi-drivers acting together are to lodge a formal objection to the City Council against the building of a state-of-the-art multiplex cinema, which is to form phase two of the development.
- A 10-screen multiplex cinema would be brought to the town, a new department store and 1,000-space multi storey car park.
nounBack to top
1A system or signal involving simultaneous transmission of several messages along a single channel of communication. Compare with duplex, simplex.
- Are you running into a lot of constraints among operators who are devoting digital bandwidth to multiplexes and additional pay-per-view channels?
- In this case we have a telephone multiplex and two systems (A and B).
- Well allocate not multiplexes but channel space within the multiplex.
2A movie theater with several separate screens.
- Not only are such outlets the necessary gateways into the riches of world cinema and film history, they also balance the multiplexes and boutique art-house cinemas that so dominate the film landscape in any country.
- Generally speaking, the weakness of December 2004 is a continuation of an overall cinematic malaise that has infected multiplexes and art-houses this year.
- You're also beginning to see towns not on the West or East coast exhibiting films that they normally wouldn't have seen before, because the multiplexes will devote that screen or two to them.
verb[with object] Back to top
Incorporate into a multiplex signal or system.
- An internal pattern calibration circuit is multiplexed to the first signal and used for generating a plurality of second parameters for calibration of close loop.
- This filter became of paramount importance in the production of dense wavelength division multiplexing filters for telecommunication applications.
- These high-density sensor arrays, in which each sensor is connected to its own optical channel, offer the potential for highly multiplexed analytical systems with the ability to address a myriad of application areas.
Late Middle English in the mathematical sense 'multiple': from Latin.
- Example sentences
- It would make a great movie, but it relies on character and plot, and hence is of little interest to the multiplexers.
- They can't fix the problem without installing a multiplexer, because the previous team installed a diplexer, don't you know.
- Industry sources hinted at low sales for one of its core products - a wavelength multiplexer / demultiplexer known as an AWG.
Pronunciation: /ˈməltēˌpleksər/(also multiplexor) noun
Words that rhyme with multiplexsimplex
Definition of multiplex in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan