Definition of multitasking in English:
1 Computing The simultaneous execution of more than one program or task by a single computer processor.
- An example of multitasking would be: running your Internet browser and word processor at the same time.
- However, this apparent multitasking is just an illusion, because any single-CPU computer is limited to doing one thing at a time.
- Most users may not realize it, but they are doing quite a bit of multitasking such as having an Internet browser up, as well as a chat client, virus scanner and some kind of productivity software running.
1.1The handling of more than one task at the same time by a single person.
- Does the multitasking for which women are often lauded present impenetrable obstacles in the race for single-minded achievement, performance and classic, capitalist definitions of success?
- Since I am the queen of multitasking, I have started using my Big City dates as excuses to spend the night and go to Big City Research U. library the next day.
- It's a job that prohibits any sort of multitasking.
- Example sentences
- They multitask less often than those who work together, but still do so frequently.
- However, it is an overrated and counterproductive trap, often misconstrued as dedication to the job, while failure to multitask is often seen as being lazy.
- On the one hand there has been a certain amount of rather unfair commentary on how my inability to multitask leads me to cook dishes that arrive on the table in one pot.
Definition of multitasking in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.