Definition of mummichog in English:
A small marine killifish that lives along the sheltered shores and estuaries of eastern North America. It is widely kept in aquariums and is also used as bait and for biological research.
- Fundulus heteroclitus, family Fundulidae (or Cyprinodontidae)
- Juvenile mummichogs were captured in pit traps along with spotfin killifish in the high marsh at both Piermont Marsh and Ralph Creek.
- Common fish species in the area include Atlantic tomcod, mummichog, redfish, herring, silver hake, Greenland halibut, and the dangerously overfished northern cod.
- The latter group includes Atlantic silversides, M. menidia, capelin Mallotus villosus and the mummichog, F. heteroclitus.
late 18th century: from Narragansett moamitteaug.
Definition of mummichog in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan