Definition of municipal in English:
- Schools and municipal offices were closed to enable pupils and employees to attend.
- On the same day, the municipal council broke down in half an hour in similar circumstances.
- The municipal government has been taking steps to solve the city's housing problems.
mid 16th century (originally relating to the internal affairs of a state as distinct from its foreign relations): from Latin municipalis, from municipium 'free city', from municeps, municip- 'citizen with privileges', from munia 'civic offices' + capere 'take'.
- Example sentences
- Other recent projects included several light rail systems, usually municipally owned but privately run.
- It really does impact the broad range of government activities, federally, provincially and municipally in a very real way.
- Most of these services are municipally organized, but some take the form of nonprofit foundations, private companies, and parent cooperatives.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.