- A small Southeast Asian deer, the male of which has tusks, small antlers, and a doglike bark. Also called barking deer.
More example sentences
- Genus Muntiacus, family Cervidae: several species, including the Chinese muntjac (M. reevesi), which is naturalized in England and France
- The dense forests contain sambhar (the Indian stag), the muntjac (barking deer) and herds of chital (spotted deer).
- In addition to moon bears, tigers live in this mountain jungle, as do small, short-haired, tree-climbing sun bears, the strange, fanged barking deer called muntjacs, and civets, wild boars, and cobras.
- Britain's deer population is made up of six different species, native types such as the red deer and roe deer, as well as species which have been introduced sika, muntjac, Chinese water deer and the fallow deer.
late 18th century: from Sundanese minchek.
More definitions of muntjacDefinition of muntjac in:
- The British & World English dictionary