1A strong-smelling reddish-brown substance that is secreted by the male musk deer for scent-marking and is an important ingredient in perfumery.
- The preference for this specific cologne may have something to do with one particular ingredient: musk.
- In China, these deer are now bred in captivity so that their musk can be harvested.
- Even the lightest, most flowery perfumes contain a trace of musk.
2 (also musk plant or musk flower) A relative of the monkey flower that was formerly cultivated for its musky perfume, which has been lost in the development of modern varieties.
- Genus Mimulus, family Scrophulariaceae: several species, in particular M. moschatus.
- With two-thirds of an acre to tend, I stopped growing high-maintenance hybrid teas and turned to rugosas and hybrid musks - they're much easier and very satisfying alternatives.
Words that rhyme with muskbusk, dusk, husk, rusk, tusk
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of musk in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.