Definition of musk turtle in English:
A small drab-colored American freshwater turtle that has scent glands that produce an unpleasant musky odor when the turtle is disturbed. Also called stinkpot.
- Genus Sternotherus, family Kinosternidae: several species, including the common musk turtle (S. odoratus)
- In Florida and south-central Texas, common musk turtles may be active all year long, but farther north, common musks are usually forced to hibernate in winter.
- American mud and musk turtles are found mainly in eastern and southern North America and as far south as Argentina in South America.
- Mud and musk turtles of the United States include the common mud turtle, common musk turtle, razor-backed musk turtle, and yellow mud turtle.
Definition of musk turtle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia