Definition of musk turtle in English:
A small drab-colored American freshwater turtle that has scent glands that produce an unpleasant musky odor when the turtle is disturbed. Also called stinkpot.
- Genus Sternotherus, family Kinosternidae: several species, including the common musk turtle (S. odoratus)
- In Florida and south-central Texas, common musk turtles may be active all year long, but farther north, common musks are usually forced to hibernate in winter.
- American mud and musk turtles are found mainly in eastern and southern North America and as far south as Argentina in South America.
- Mud and musk turtles of the United States include the common mud turtle, common musk turtle, razor-backed musk turtle, and yellow mud turtle.
Definition of musk turtle in:
- British & World English dictionary