The most common Eurasian swan, having white plumage and an orange-red bill with a black knob at the base. Introduced to the northeastern US, its range is expanding along the Atlantic coast and the Great Lakes region.
- Cygnus olor, family Anatidae
More example sentences
- Invasives like mute swans and rock pigeons are wreaking ecological havoc throughout the United States and threatening countless native species.
- But fly-fishers claim mute swans are stripping these rivers of water crowfoot, an aquatic plant crucial to trout and the insects they eat.
- On a recent walk I saw a kingfisher skim across the surface and a number of mute swans.
More definitions of mute swanDefinition of mute swan in:
- The British & World English dictionary