Definition of myasthenia in English:
1A condition causing abnormal weakness of certain muscles.
- Louise suffers from osteoporosis and myasthenia, a muscle weakness which means she needs to sleep for about four hours after every riding lesson.
- Surgical removal of the thymus gland is performed in patients with a thymoma and can also help some other patients, especially those who develop myasthenia before the age of about 45.
- Unlike myasthenia, however, it is associated with improved strength with repeated muscle activity.
1.1 (in full myasthenia gravisˈɡravis) A rare chronic autoimmune disease marked by muscular weakness without atrophy, and caused by a defect in the action of acetylcholine at neuromuscular junctions.
- It has been useful in treating autoimmune diseases such as myasthenia gravis.
- The drug was first approved by the FDA as a treatment for myasthenia gravis, a chronic neuromuscular disease.
- Congenital myasthenia gravis is rare and can be excluded by maternal and neonatal history.
Definition of myasthenia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.