- A fine-grained metamorphic rock, typically banded, resulting from the grinding or crushing of other rocks.More example sentences
- Fine-grained mylonite developed in the fault corridor may have favoured aseismic deformation in the Shin volcano area.
- The formation and preservation of the peridotite mylonite in particular presents problems of interpretation.
- The hanging-wall mylonite consists of an interconnected muscovite and chlorite network within a quartz-rich matrix.
late 19th century: from Greek mulōn 'mill' + -ite1.
More definitions of myloniteDefinition of mylonite in:
- The British & World English dictionary