Definition of mythopoeia in English:
The making of a myth or myths.
- For, as noted above, Tasso's is the first vernacular poem to mold Musaeus in the Ovidian heroic manner: apostrophe, ethopoeia and digressive mythopoeia abound.
- A long phase of reverence for rationality subverted his original, spiritually frenetic passion for tragic mythopoeia.
- He is the only one who relates mythopoeia to the dynamism of human imagination.
- Example sentences
- The approach is primarily mythopoeic, recognising that spiritual truths are better understood by means of allusion and symbol rather than through doctrine.
- In the period before political independence, Francophone prose was typically elevated, extravagant, mythopoeic, and laced with surreal fantasy or utopian symbolism.
- These psychogenetic affinities and ambiguities between carnal desires, cannibalism, death, and rebirth form the core symbolism of the mythopoeic imagery.
1950s: from Greek muthopoiia, from muthos 'myth' + poiein 'make'.
Definition of mythopoeia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.