Definition of mythopoeia in English:
The making of a myth or myths.
- For, as noted above, Tasso's is the first vernacular poem to mold Musaeus in the Ovidian heroic manner: apostrophe, ethopoeia and digressive mythopoeia abound.
- A long phase of reverence for rationality subverted his original, spiritually frenetic passion for tragic mythopoeia.
- He is the only one who relates mythopoeia to the dynamism of human imagination.
1950s: from Greek muthopoiia, from muthos 'myth' + poiein 'make'.
- Example sentences
- The approach is primarily mythopoeic, recognising that spiritual truths are better understood by means of allusion and symbol rather than through doctrine.
- In the period before political independence, Francophone prose was typically elevated, extravagant, mythopoeic, and laced with surreal fantasy or utopian symbolism.
- These psychogenetic affinities and ambiguities between carnal desires, cannibalism, death, and rebirth form the core symbolism of the mythopoeic imagery.
Definition of mythopoeia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan