Definition of mythopoetic in English:
1Of or relating to the making of a myth or myths.
- Through experiences of community, rituals, and teachings, the mythopoetic men sought to overcome negative images of masculinity by creating new ones (or retrieving ancient ones) from myths and poems.
- We hedonists have a mythology of our own, symbolized by a mythopoetic demi-god who loves a good drink and frowns on those who would keep him from it.
- No less powerfully mythopoetic than the classical image of the disease, the demonological model envisioned the hysterical anesthesias, mutisms, and convulsions as stigmati diaboli or marks of the devil.
1.1Relating to or denoting a movement for men that uses activities such as storytelling and poetry reading as a means of self-understanding.
- So what happened to Robert Bly's mythopoetic movement?
- The mythopoetic men's movement heavily utilized Jungian psychology influenced by Muslim Sufiism to achieve these ends, as they also created temporary experiences of intimate male community.
Definition of mythopoetic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan