Definition of nacre in English:
- The nacre, or mother of pearl, is the innermost layer, which is composed of thin, alternating, laminae (flakes or sheets) of calcium carbonate and an organic material.
- The oyster coats the sand grain with a silvery shiny layer called nacre.
- Now, researchers have designed a synthetic material that mimics both nacre's internal architecture and its strength.
- Example sentences
- The dorsal ligament groove is overlain dorsally and flanked laterally by the nacreous middle shell layer.
- They suggested that this species is similar in microstructure to modern unionid bivalves, which are externally prismatic and internally nacreous.
- The distressed surfaces, with their flinty earth tones, cobalt blues and nacreous whites, hold light like rough alabaster.
Definition of nacre in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan