Definition of nacre in English:
- The nacre, or mother of pearl, is the innermost layer, which is composed of thin, alternating, laminae (flakes or sheets) of calcium carbonate and an organic material.
- The oyster coats the sand grain with a silvery shiny layer called nacre.
- Now, researchers have designed a synthetic material that mimics both nacre's internal architecture and its strength.
- Example sentences
- The dorsal ligament groove is overlain dorsally and flanked laterally by the nacreous middle shell layer.
- They suggested that this species is similar in microstructure to modern unionid bivalves, which are externally prismatic and internally nacreous.
- The distressed surfaces, with their flinty earth tones, cobalt blues and nacreous whites, hold light like rough alabaster.
Definition of nacre in:
- British & World English dictionary