- A disease of cattle, antelope, and other livestock in southern Africa, characterized by fever, lethargy, and edema, and caused by trypanosome parasites transmitted by the tsetse fly.More example sentences
- The tsetse fly carries the trypanosome parasite, which causes sleeping sickness in humans and nagana in livestock.
- Tsetse flies that infect cattle with nagana (animal trypanosomosis) have been ‘all but eradicated from Zimbabwe's farming areas’ he says.
- Further north the scourge of tsetse fly, vector of the disease nagana, limited the use of cattle as draught.
late 19th century: from Zulu nakane.
More definitions of naganaDefinition of nagana in:
- The British & World English dictionary