Definition of naked mole rat in English:
A blind and hairless mole rat living in large underground colonies in eastern Africa. The colony structure is similar to that of social insects, with only one pair breeding and most other individuals acting as workers.
- Heterocephalus glaber, family Bathyergidae
- I'd like to see a Malagasy giant rat though, and a Coue's rice rat, and a naked mole rat, and even a big smelly cane rat.
- Damaraland mole rats, along with the closely related naked mole rats, are the only known mammals that are eusocial - that is, they live in social colonies with a division of labor among members.
- The trio did suspect they were something like social insects, and even naked mole rats have an ant-like social order.
Definition of naked mole rat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan