- A synthetic drug, similar to morphine, that blocks opiate receptors in the nervous system and is used chiefly in the treatment of heroin addiction.More example sentences
- In addition, this research group also determined that naloxone, an opiate antagonist similar to naltrexone, prevented the action of both marijuana and heroin on dopamine transmission.
- Thus, the researchers proposed the hypothesis that alcohol releases endogenous opioids and that naltrexone blocks the opioid receptor.
- Small studies have suggested that the opiate antagonist naltrexone is effective as an adjuvant therapy for treating alcohol addiction.
1970s: from a contraction of N-al(lylnoroxymorph)one (see naloxone), with the insertion of the arbitrary element -trex-.
More definitions of naltrexoneDefinition of naltrexone in:
- The British & World English dictionary