1North American A flaky rectangular pastry with a sweet filling.
- The napoleon of dark chocolate mousse with Mexican-chocolate ice cream and crisp chocolate wafer is almost too much for anyone but the most devoted chocoholic.
- Spoon a portion of sauce around the plate and place a quenelle of the marmalade next to the napoleon.
- For dessert there were cheesecake, ice cream, cream cake, fruit salad, and napoleons.
2 historical A gold twenty-franc French coin minted during the reign of Napoleon I.
- ‘Offering French lessons for two gold napoleons cannot be a very reliable source of income,’ said the politician.
- You care only for the 10,000 gold napoleons he has filled your pockets with!
- He knew this was the doing of the Director, who had reported the theatre to Napoleon's secret police in return for a reward of 10,000 gold napoleons.
3 (also napoleon boot) historical A 19th-century man’s boot reaching above the knee in front and with a piece cut out behind, originally worn by cavalrymen.
- I take it Will, that you have two pairs of Napoleon boots, two pairs of Hessians and another two pairs of button boots?
- White breaches and black Napoleon boots complete the turnout.
- Those who had struck it rich wore black woollen trousers and Napoleon boots, and sported silk sashes and gaily coloured kerchiefs.
Words that rhyme with napoleonAeolian, Anatolian, Eolian, Jolyon, Mongolian, simoleon
1The name of three rulers of France.
1.1 Napoleon I ( 1769–1821), emperor 1804–14 and 1815; full name Napoleon Bonaparte; known as Napoleon. In 1799, he joined a conspiracy that overthrew the Directory, becoming the supreme ruler of France. He declared himself emperor in 1804 and established an empire stretching from Spain to Poland. After defeats at Trafalgar in 1805 and in Russia in 1812, he abdicated and was exiled to the island of Elba in 1814. He returned to power in 1815, but was defeated at Waterloo and exiled to the island of St. Helena.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.