- A sheet of rock that has moved sideways over neighboring strata as a result of an overthrust or folding.More example sentences
- On its south side the Oytag arc is thrust over Carboniferous sandstones and limestones that are folded into spectacular nappes.
- Another important difference is that the basement of one of the Menderes nappes (dine nappe, see below) is of Neoproterozoic to Cambrian age.
- Stratigraphic relationships show that the Mata nappe follows a recumbent fold structure characterized by a normal and an inverted fold limb.
late 19th century: from French nappe 'tablecloth'.
More definitions of nappeDefinition of nappe in:
- The British & World English dictionary