Definition of narcissism in English:
1Excessive or erotic interest in oneself and one’s physical appearance.
- But excessive self-love, or narcissism, could actually increase violence in schools.
- Like most blogs, the content is erratic, syncopated by the intrusions of daily life, random interests, monomania, narcissism and booze.
- Is indulging our individual truths a form of excessive narcissism?
1.1 Psychology Extreme selfishness, with a grandiose view of one’s own talents and a craving for admiration, as characterizing a personality type.
- Would-be doctors had personality defects ranging from extreme over-confidence, narcissism and aloofness to being overly empathetic.
- She might even have admitted to extreme narcissism if it made a good line.
- This factor supports the idea that an extreme narcissism is a specific psychogenic factor here.
1.2 Psychoanalysis Self-centeredness arising from failure to distinguish the self from external objects, either in very young babies or as a feature of mental disorder.
- ‘One of the features of narcissism is enormous confidence and self-esteem,’ she observes.
- And narcissism is a seductive mental disorder.
- After all, normal narcissism makes most psychiatrists feel they are doing a good job, even when they may not be.
- Example sentences
- The authors suggest that aggression by narcissists is an interpersonally meaningful and specific response to an ego threat.
- It lets narcissists and egomaniacs (me included) run wild and pollute your mind with their thoughts.
- That way he can spend his days with another egomaniacal narcissist.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.