A condition characterized by an extreme tendency to fall asleep whenever in relaxing surroundings.
- It was developed to treat narcolepsy, a rare condition that makes people fall asleep unexpectedly and uncontrollably.
- The drug is used for narcolepsy, a condition in which people fall asleep unexpectedly during the day.
- While insomnia comes in many forms, there are people with narcolepsy who fall asleep while at work, talking or driving.
- Example sentences
- However the authors point out that the genetics of human narcolepsy are well defined - most narcoleptics generally do not have first degree relatives with the disorder.
- Some narcoleptics fall asleep and collapse while crossing the street.
- The fear that they would put audiences into narcoleptic slumber is probably why proposals for a TV channel to cover events at the world organization are often raised only to be deep-sixed.
Late 19th century: from Greek narkē 'numbness', on the pattern of epilepsy.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of narcolepsy in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.