Definition of nasal in English:
1Of, for, or relating to the nose: the nasal passages a nasal spray
More example sentences
- Nose drop addiction is a vicious cycle requiring more frequent use of nose drops or spray to keep your nasal passages clear.
- There are several natural remedies available for snoring, ranging from throat lubricants and nasal sprays to nose strips.
- Your doctor might recommend using nose drops, a nasal spray, a decongestant, or an antihistamine.
2(Of a speech sound) pronounced by the voice resonating in the nose, e.g., m, n, ng. Compare with oral (sense 2) of the adjective).
- I have never, for instance, heard a speaker of English condemn the nasal vowels or the dropped consonants of the French language.
- English vowels may be partially nasalized when followed by a nasal consonant.
- In the former, 12 vowels are distinguished, six oral vowels and six nasal vowels.
2.1(Of the voice or speech) produced or characterized by resonating in the nose as well as the mouth.
- It seemed like they had so much in common: nasal voices, a taste for writing long, slow, acoustic dirges, and a closet full of flannel.
- Indeed, her voice was quite nasal; her bright red nose couldn't hide it.
- His voice was annoying since it had a nasal whine to it.
nounBack to top
1A nasal speech sound.
- These consonants are generally referred to as nasal consonants or nasals.
- There is one exception to this generalization - the velar nasal may not occur in onset position.
- From the point of view of the writer, there are a few ambiguities in that in certain environments syllable-final nasals may be written either as nasals or as the plain stops of the same point of articulation.
- Example sentences
- Singers of all ages are discussed, and common vocal problems such as improper breathing, poor articulation, breathy tone quality, strident tone quality, nasality, tense jaw, lazy tongue and the changing voice are examined.
- ‘En’ is pronounced as ‘eh’ with nasality, as in the vowel in French ‘chien’ (dog).
- He offers many practical exercises for tongue tension, nasality, diction problems, such as the flipped and trilled Italian ‘r’, and other localized tension problems.
- Example sentences
- Peabody's accent was high and aloof, crisp on the vowels and nasally through the consonants.
- It was about this time that the nasally - voiced receptionist decided that she really couldn't pretend that Alli was not waiting any longer.
- We believe that this technology will be useful against a wide variety of diseases, and will enable a new generation of vaccines to be administered orally and nasally.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia