Definition of nationalize in English:
1Transfer (a major branch of industry or commerce) from private to state ownership or control.
- Collectivist institutions like the trade unions, local government, and nationalized industries had already been weakened by the end of the 1980s, as a result of Conservative policies.
- We discussed different issues: not paying the external debt anymore, re-nationalizing the privatized industries, nationalizing the banks and the international trade.
- It wants greater control, to nationalise industries, regulate businesses, and tax everyone to the hilt.
2Make distinctively national; give a national character to: in the 13th and 14th centuries church designs were further nationalized
More example sentences
- Such cultural diversity and geographic isolation have led to a nationalized sense of pride.
- At the risk of errant foolishness, I attempted a nationalized semiotics of squibbing: what will the squibs of each country's films tell me?
- The complex is part of a nationalized vocabulary of religious architecture in which the ritual progression through buildings is consistent from complex to complex, region to region, and religion to religion.
- Example sentences
- President Nasser's nationalization of the Suez Canal and the subsequent British and French attack on Port Said was and still is a pivotal event in modern Arab history.
- Caught in the middle, he has since moved to the left, endorsing nationalization but arguing that it should be done through a national constitutional assembly.
- There were assaults on the press, extensive nationalization of businesses and a methodical effort to build a shadow army, which produced mounting violence throughout the period.
- Example sentences
- Labor in Queensland, even in its earliest years, was never wholly composed of extreme nationalisers; any more than the New South Wales party was composed only of down-to-earth industrial reformers.
- A similar view on land nationalization was expressed in an interview at Adelaide: ‘I am not a land nationaliser in the narrow meaning of the term.’
- Some say that as his practical policy recommendation was land taxation, he should be seen as a land taxer not a land nationaliser.
Definition of nationalize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.