Definition of natural history in English:
1The scientific study of animals or plants, especially as concerned with observation rather than experiment, and presented in popular rather than academic form.
- The natural history of animal inebriation has been documented anecdotally, but has received no scientific attention.
- Scientists are shifting their attention from natural history studies to questions about how best to conserve isolated and declining populations.
- This field blends laboratory physiology, with its emphasis on controlled experimental designs, and natural history.
1.1The study of the whole natural world, including mineralogy and paleontology.
- I came to the profession of letters via the study of natural history, palaeontology, and medicine.
- He was a true scholar, with interests in mineralogy, physics, natural history, chemistry, mathematics, and languages.
- Several of the drawers under the bookcases and in the medal cabinet in the Library are still packed with minerals and natural history specimens, including large pieces of coral, crystals, fossils and animal bones.
2 Medicine The usual course of development of a disease or condition, especially in the absence of treatment: the natural history of cancerous tumors
More example sentences
- Knowledge of the age-related prevalence and natural history of cervical cancer precursors in women has guided the development of cervical cancer screening strategies for women.
- The natural history of disease and response to treatment may be related to the genotype of HCV in a particular patient.
- Define the risk factors (host/genetic and environmental) that affect the occurrence and natural history of the disease.
natural historian noun
- Example sentences
- A prolific letter writer, Blanche would send letters off to ornithologists, natural historians and horticulturists around the world, asking for and giving advice.
- Baker claims, ‘The theory of natural selection… postulates a causal relation wholly unappreciated by natural historians before Darwin.’
- When you read the eighteenth-century natural historians, they talk about clothing and beards and skin color all in the same paragraph.
Definition of natural history in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.