- A mollusk of a group of mainly extinct marine mollusks that includes the pearly nautilus.
More example sentences
- Subclass Nautiloidea, class Cephalopoda: Nautilus is the only surviving genus
- Ammonoids are descendants of the extinct, primitive coiled nautiloids and they are extinct relatives of modern squid, octopus, cuttlefish, and nautilus.
- Other fossil groups include diverse rugose corals, some tabulate corals, nautiloids, gastropods, and trilobites.
- Coiled shells, commonly of ammonoid cephalopods, nautiloids, or gastropods, have been given colloquial names such as rams' horns, snakestones, serpentstones, and conger eels.
mid 19th century: from the modern Latin genus name Nautilus (from Greek nautilos 'sailor') + -oid.
More definitions of nautiloidDefinition of nautiloid in:
- The British & World English dictionary