Definition of navicular in English:
- The navicular surface is smaller and more triangular.
nounBack to top
1 (also navicular bone) A boat-shaped bone in the ankle or wrist, especially that in the ankle between the talus and the cuneiform bones.
- The team then scrutinized naviculars of A. afarensis, H. habilis, chimpanzees and gorillas.
- The metatarsal and the navicular bones were the most commonly involved.
- Bone tenderness over the navicular bone or base of the fifth metatarsal is an indication for radiographs to rule out fracture of the foot.
2 (also navicular disease or navicular syndrome) A chronic disorder of the navicular bone in horses, causing lameness in the front feet.
- ‘As with all performance horses, arthritis and navicular can be a problem,’ Kim explained, saying she relies on her farrier and vet to work together to keep Parker healthy.
- In fact, navicular disease has been determined as a cause of lameness in horses as early as 1752 when the syndrome was originally described.
- Navicular syndrome is one of several conditions leading to heel soreness or lameness.
Words that rhyme with navicularauricular, curricula, curricular, diverticula, funicular, lenticular, particular, perpendicular, vehicular, vermicular
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan