- 1The process or activity of accurately ascertaining one’s position and planning and following a route.More example sentences
- Its flight control, navigation and vehicle management are independent and based on a mission plan.
- Phoenix will be used as a demonstrator for the autonomous navigation and flight-control system used for the final approach and landing of the unmanned vehicle.
- While on the route, the aircraft practice visual low-level navigation, simulated threat reactions and simulated target attacks.
- 2The passage of ships: bridges to span rivers without hindering navigationMore example sentences
- Rivers were open to ship navigation at that time.
- The emphasis is on railway transport, river navigation receiving less attention.
- As we have seen, however, the practical exercise of a right to arrest ships in passage poses serious dangers to navigation, and it is rarely used as a means of enforcing anti-pollution regulations.
- More example sentences
- The new free charts must be downloaded into a navigational software program that runs on a personal computer.
- Her current task is to undertake survey work, updating existing charts and navigational resources.
- Even the ability to get to the island in the first place requires advanced seafaring and navigational skills!
early 16th century (denoting the action of traveling on water): from French, or from Latin navigatio(n-), from the verb navigare (see navigate).