Definition of necessitarian in English:
Another term for determinist (see determinism).
- Hume defends the necessitarian point of view by arguing that all human actions are caused by antecedent motives.
- A recent elucidation of a necessitarian approach to causality is found in Harre and Madden.
- Early modern historians are at last freeing themselves from the thrall of a typology which has conditioned them to accept necessitarian theories of change based on nineteenth- and twentieth-century events.
- Example sentences
- The only argument I know of for truthmaker necessitarianism is that given by David Armstrong.
- This, the usual and most logical form of necessitarianism, is called the mechanical philosophy.
- Then in his responses to necessitarianism Leibniz can say that the necessitarianism he's avoiding is a logical necessitarianism.
Definition of necessitarian in:
- British & World English dictionary