- Failing to take proper care in doing something: directors have been negligent in the performance of their dutiesMore example sentences
- They would still be liable at common law for negligent installation or maintenance.
- It is difficult for the claimant to say that the defendant was negligent in not seeing him, if he had not seen the defendant.
- The judge held that the defendants were negligent and in breach of statutory duty and the claim was not statute barred.
- More example sentences
- The defendants negligently told the plaintiffs that X was much wealthier than in fact he was.
- Driving is a lawful act which becomes unlawful when performed negligently.
- Your Honour, a professional giving evidence in a court of law and who gives evidence which is negligently given, is not subject to a remedy.
late Middle English: from Old French, or from Latin negligent- 'disregarding', from the verb negligere (variant of neglegere 'disregard, slight': see neglect).