Definition of nematic in English:
Relating to or denoting a state of a liquid crystal in which the molecules are oriented in parallel but not arranged in well-defined planes. Compare with smectic.
- Molecules in the nematic liquid crystal phase stay parallel to one another.
- Many are eyeing nematic elastomers, which can deform 400% in response to heating or cooling.
- Liquid crystal composite with droplets of plural chiral nematic materials with different reflection bands
nounBack to top
A nematic substance.
- For low concentrations of added BSA the MTs form a nematic, whereas at higher concentrations the rectangular bundle phase is observed.
- The presences of very small amounts of MAPs greatly suppress the nematic to rectangular bundle transition.
Definition of nematic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan