(also nemertineˈnemərˌtēn) Zoology
Definition of nemertean in English:
A member of the small phylum Nemertea; a ribbon worm.
- Such an association of cells and mechanism of precursor translocation have not been reported from nemerteans previously.
- The organization of the body compartment between the epidermis and gut in nemerteans and flatworms also does not reveal a uniquely similar pattern.
- Frontal glands have been cited in the classical literature as probable homologues of Platyhelminthes and nemerteans.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting nemerteans.
- The focal stage for this analysis is the early period of embryo encapsulation, a mode of development that has evolved several times among gastropods, polychaetes, nemerteans and flatworms.
- Consequently, his conclusion that platyhelminths, nemerteans, and rotifers ‘appear to have never had’ a prototroch is not supported by his analysis.
- Although long considered a character informative for linking nemerteans and platyhelminths, rigorous comparative analyses of protonephridial morphology have revealed no synapomorphies of nemertean and platyhelminth nephridia.
Words that rhyme with nemerteanGilbertian, Goethean
Definition of nemertean in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.