Definition of neocolonialism in English:
The use of economic, political, cultural, or other pressures to control or influence other countries, especially former dependencies.
- Capitalism, colonialism, neocolonialism, Marxism, literary ignorance, cultural arrogance, fear, and just about every other form of human perversity become the enemy.
- They also have had an impact on activists in the Third World, especially when they have tried to define the proper role for progressive, often Westernized intellectuals in the movements against colonialism and neocolonialism.
- His Moorish lineage does not absolve the majority from political responsibility; instead it draws attention to the spread of neocolonialism in business and politics.
- Example sentences
- The official news agency admitted that it would not be easy to defend socialism because capitalists leave behind them a petty bourgeoisie and government absolutely corrupted by the crumbs from the neocolonial banquet.
- In other words, unwavering support for Washington is the means through which Australian capitalism ensures backing for its neocolonial ambitions in the Asia-Pacific region.
- In other words, I want us to define the after to colonialism as the neocolonial relations into which the United States entered with decolonized nations.
neocolonialist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- We were neocolonialists, bent on imposing handmaiden regimes.
- ‘We've gone from a colonialist idea to a neocolonialist idea - a new idea of India,’ Primiano said.
- As Arab American feminists contend with the intersecting forces of racism, sexism, and neocolonialist policies in the Middle East, we also struggle for visibility within the U.S. feminist movement and in movements for racial equality.
Definition of neocolonialism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan