Definition of neontology in English:
The branch of zoology dealing with living forms as distinct from fossils. Often contrasted with paleontology.
- The relevance of neontology, including ecology, to paleontology could not be more starkly revealed in these and other questions concerning biodiversity dynamics.
- Although the distinction between paleontology and neontology may be practical, it is not necessarily natural or productive.
- However, paleontologists have not been completely blinded by neontology and recent paleontological analyses also indicate that gastropod evolution was considerably more complicated than previously thought.
late 19th century: from neo- 'new', on the pattern of paleontology.
- Example sentences
- The tabulated fouling data for neontological occurrences includes only metazoan epibionts that appeared on the external surface of the cuticle.
- Comparable studies of fishes and other aquatic vertebrates are scarce, despite a wealth of neontological data.
- However, neontological evidence suggests that fissurelloids diverged from other vetigastropods relatively recently.
Definition of neontology in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia