The branch of zoology dealing with living forms as distinct from fossils. Often contrasted with paleontology.
- The relevance of neontology, including ecology, to paleontology could not be more starkly revealed in these and other questions concerning biodiversity dynamics.
- Although the distinction between paleontology and neontology may be practical, it is not necessarily natural or productive.
- However, paleontologists have not been completely blinded by neontology and recent paleontological analyses also indicate that gastropod evolution was considerably more complicated than previously thought.
- Example sentences
- The tabulated fouling data for neontological occurrences includes only metazoan epibionts that appeared on the external surface of the cuticle.
- Comparable studies of fishes and other aquatic vertebrates are scarce, despite a wealth of neontological data.
- However, neontological evidence suggests that fissurelloids diverged from other vetigastropods relatively recently.
Late 19th century: from neo- 'new', on the pattern of paleontology.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of neontology in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.