Definition of neopaganism in English:
A modern religious movement that seeks to incorporate beliefs or ritual practices from traditions outside the main world religions, especially those of pre-Christian Europe and North America.
- But now that neopaganism has joined the ranks of approved campus religious groups, this is beginning to be a minority view, expressed tentatively for fear of giving offense.
- As one moves further from the Wiccan mainstream, neopaganism's eclectic quality - its status as a religion of appropriation - becomes yet more obvious.
- Associate Editor Jesse Walker's ‘Inside the Spiritual Jacuzzi’ is a tour of new customized religions that range from attempts to fuse Judaism with Buddhism to neopaganism to something called the Hot Tub Mystery Religion.
neopagan noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- And the third, a lapsed neopagan, revived her religious practice online and was the only one of the three who stayed there.
- I have often wondered if it dawns on neopagans why they are so dependent on rituals and ceremonies - from spells to drumming, chanting and dancing.
- Today modern neopagans either celebrate it on the 1st or 2nd, the 2nd being more popular in America, perhaps because of a confusion with Candlemas.
Definition of neopaganism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.