Definition of nepenthes in English:
1 (also nepenthe) /-THē/ literary A drug described in Homer’s Odyssey as banishing grief or trouble from a person’s mind.
- Alcohol and morphine - nepenthe means numbing the soul, numbing your soul.
- They have all drunk the supply-side nepenthe - and simply don't care to hear any debate on this subject.
- Its contents, the nepenthes as administered by Helen to her guests to instill joy, have been consumed.
1.1Any drug or potion bringing welcome forgetfulness.
- Quaff, oh quaff this kind nepenthe and forget this lost Lenore!
- More, Freddy frames Lori's father for the murder of Lori's mother (by stabbing, of course), while Lori's father compounds the tension by offering nepenthe, Suspicion-style: ‘At least drink your juice!’
Definition of nepenthes in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan