Definition of nephridium in English:
noun (plural nephridia-ˈfridēə)Zoology
(In many invertebrate animals) a tubule open to the exterior that acts as an organ of excretion or osmoregulation. It typically has ciliated or flagellated cells and absorptive walls.
- The organs they produce include segmental muscles, nephridia, gonads and gonoducts.
- Gametes are shed into the coelom and carried outside the body through the nephridia or as a result of the body wall actually rupturing.
- Torsion in gastropods has the unfortunate result that wastes are expelled from the gut and nephridia near the gills.
- Example sentences
- Nemerteans possess protonephridia consisting of multiciliated terminal cells, a ciliated nephridial duct and a nephridiopore opening at the epidermis.
- For example, Nielsen cites the nonsegmental nature of these cavities in nemerteans and the lack of associated metanephridia or otherwise open nephridial connections as evidence against homology.
- The whole layer of nephridial cytoplasm surrounding the radiating canals is 1 to 1.5 micron thick.
Definition of nephridium in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.