Definition of nerine in English:
A bulbous South African plant with narrow, strap-shaped petals that are typically crimped and twisted and appear when there are no leaves.
- Genus Nerine, family Liliaceae (or Amaryllidaceae)
- There is always plenty in bloom, especially March lilies, agapanthus, nerines and blood lilies at this time of year.
- Also for containers or sheltered, well-drained sunny spaces, the less hardy gladiolus, nerine and Belladonna lily will look exotic.
- In horticultural practice, bud abortion, i.e. ceasing of the development of the shoot in flower bulbs, is a substantial problem in several crops, including hippeastrum, nerine and tulip.
Modern Latin, derivative of Greek Nērēis, the name of a water nymph.
Definition of nerine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.