Definition of nerite in English:
A chiefly tropical mollusk with a somewhat globe-shaped and brightly marked shell, typically found in water.
- Superfamily Neritacea, class Gastropoda: several genera and species, including the European freshwater snail Theodoxus fluviatilis
- As with the checkered nerite, some members of a population spend more time in the water than others.
- To eat the contents, the nerite has to crush the diatom's hard silicate armour on the ground.
- External colour in tropical nerites is quite variable, and of limited use in identification.
Definition of nerite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.