- (Of a medicine) used to calm the nerves.More example sentences
- One particular ingredient in the Living Multi vegetable blend, oat grass, is a potent nervine tonic.
nounBack to top
- A nervine medicine.More example sentences
- How are these different from the pharmaceutical classification of substances as diaphoretics, laxatives, alteratives, stimulants, sedatives, nervines, emmenagogues, carminatives, etc.?
- Medicines and herbs that are demulcent, emollient, warmly diaphoretic, nervines, antispasmodic, warming and carminative are appropriate for treating Air imbalances.
- If there was a problem with a hypersympathetic nervous system, Western herbalists have tended use sedatives, nervines and perhaps anti-inflammatories.
mid 17th century: from medieval Latin nervinus 'of the nerves or sinews', or suggested by French nervin.
More definitions of nervineDefinition of nervine in:
- The British & World English dictionary