1A type of epithelium containing sensory nerve endings and found in certain sense organs (e.g., the retina, the inner ear, the nasal membranes, and the taste buds).
- The free nerve endings of cranial nerve V are located diffusely throughout the nasal respiratory epithelium, including regions of the olfactory neuroepithelium.
- Scanning electron microscopy on neuroepithelium of dissected cochlea, i.e., of the upper surface of the hair cells of the organ of Corti, was used to investigate the cause of deafness.
- Smell receptors are located within the olfactory neuroepithelium, a region of tissue found over the cribiform plate, the superior septum and a segment of the superior turbinate.
2(In embryology) ectoderm that develops into nerve tissue.
- Immature neural tissue or neuroepithelium is more common than grade 1 but does not exceed an aggregate area of three low-power microscopic fields in any one slide.
- An aggregate area of one low-power microscopic field, even if only in one slide of the tumor, exceeds the minor amount of immature brain or neuroepithelium acceptable for Grade 1.
- Example sentences
- The authors conclude that allergen exposure depletes calcitonin gene-related peptide in neuroepithelial bodies and submucosal nerve fibers, and that replacement of the peptide can reverse the changes in airway responsiveness.
- Note that by definition, neuroepithelial bodies must be innervated and this could not be evaluated on the given slides because pulmonary nerve fibers are negative for BLP immunostaining.
- Unfortunately, insufficient tumor was available to perform additional stains for neuroepithelial or neural crest markers.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of neuroepithelium in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.