A hormone (such as vasopressin or norepinephrine) produced by nerve cells and secreted into the circulation.
- B-type natriuretic peptide is a neurohormone secreted from the cardiac ventricles in response to ventricular stretch and pressure overload.
- The endorphins function as inhibitory neurotransmitters and neurohormones: they are released from nerve cells to act on other cells that bear opioid receptors and thus dampen the activity of those cells.
- The conceptual basis of progressive left ventricular dysfunction has now turned to neurohormones such as norepinephrine, angiotensin and aldosterone.
- Example sentences
- Regardless of cause, there are important neurohormonal and musculoskeletal abnormalities in heart failure.
- Left ventricular dysfunction causes activation of several neurohormonal systems to maintain blood pressure and adequate circulation.
- The effectiveness of medications such as diuretics and neurohormonal blocking agents is reduced if sodium intake is high; hence the importance of changing dietary patterns to include a low-sodium diet.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of neurohormone in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.