noun (plural neurohypophyses /-ˌsēz/)Anatomy
The posterior lobe of the hypophysis (pituitary gland), which stores and releases oxytocin and vasopressin produced in the hypothalamus.
- The posterior lobe of the pituitary gland or neurohypophysis contains unique glial elements referred to as pituicytes.
- The neurohypophysis, or posterior pituitary, is derived from an evagination of the infundibular portion of the diencephalon of the brain.
- The neurohypophysis was replaced by fibrotic tissue containing perivascular macrophages and activated microglia, and in the cerebellum, there were large areas of myelin pallor.
- Example sentences
- The article is on the effects of neurohypophyseal antagonists in postnephrectomy natriuresis in male rats.
- It is generally accepted that the conformation of the N-terminal part of neurohypophyseal hormones analogues is important for their pharmacological activity.
- We encountered a rare case of neurohypophyseal germinoma with a prominent granulomatous reaction, which invaded the right cavernous sinus.
Definition of neurohypophysis in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.