1The last day of the year; in the modern Western calendar, December 31.
- It'd only be over Christmas when I was fostered, from 24th December to New Year's Eve.
- Pope John Paul II ended the year with a traditional New Year's Eve homily.
- There are an awful lot of things that must be done before the New Year's Eve.
1.1The evening of the last day of the year, typically marked with a celebration.
- This New Year's Eve, Natasha Kaplinsky will host the run-up to midnight, and into 2005.
- In the rest of the region police said it was relatively quiet for a New Year's Eve with no major incidents.
- On New Year's Eve, dozens of disappointed revellers were also plunged into darkness because of the fault.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: New Year's Eve
Definition of New Year's Eve in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.