- If estate agents were in charge, there'd be none of this - it'd be something nice, pleasant and attractive.
- The majority of men will always find images of attractive women nice to look at.
- The film is billed as a romance, but the two travellers spend too long exchanging pleasantries and being nice to each other to get any sparks going.
- I was very nice to the guy who called, after all, he was just the survey taker.
- The girls loved Chris, the guys were cool with him, and he was relatively nice to every person he met.
- I wasn't going to be mean, because he was too nice of a person to make a snappy comment towards.
- It is not the sort of nonsense that can arise even in the best system of law out of the need to draw nice distinctions between borderline cases.
- In fact, I doubt that the nice distinction which Mr Mostyn sought to draw will be capable of identification in most cases.
Middle English (in the sense 'stupid'): from Old French, from Latin nescius 'ignorant', from nescire 'not know'. Other early senses included 'coy, reserved', giving rise to 'fastidious, scrupulous': this led both to the sense 'fine, subtle' (regarded by some as the “correct” sense), and to the main current senses.
Nice originally had a number of meanings, including ‘fine, subtle, discriminating’ ( they are not very nice in regard to the company they keep); ‘refined in taste, hard to please, fastidious’ ( for company so nice, the finest caterers would be engaged); and ‘precise, strict’ ( she has a nice sense of decorum). The overuse of nice to mean ‘pleasant, agreeable, satisfactory’ has rendered the word rather trite: we had a very nice time this is a nice room he’s a nice boy.
make nice (or nice-nice)
- North American informal Be pleasant or polite to someone, typically in a hypocritical way: the seat next to him was empty, so he wasn’t required to make nice with a strangerMore example sentences
- Bush and Fox were making nice at the recent Summit of the Americas in Monterrey, Mexico, about Fox's immigration policy pretenses, with ‘free trade’ issues pushed to the backest of burners.
- Meanwhile, one sees constant photo-ops of the President making nice with the Saudis, who have reasons of their own to worry about destabilization, while Kurdish leaders are met with in secret and at a much lower level.
- Everyone was making nice at the White House Christmas party for the press.
nice and ——
- Satisfactorily or adequately in terms of the quality described: it’s nice and warm in hereMore example sentences
- I wanted to stay inside this shop forever as it was nice and warm and dry inside.
- Afterwards my sister took the younguns home, where they got off to bed nice and early.
- Harry Cat was still tucked up nice and warm, sleeping a deep and almost twitch-less sleep.
- informal Expressing approval or commendation.Example sentences
- But when you're walking down the street in Liverpool people you don't know shout out, ‘alright Liz, nice one girl’ and give you the thumbs up.
- But, y'know, nice one Jimbo and all that, but who cares?
- His wife looked exhausted apparently… nice one Michael!
nice to meet you
- A polite formula used on being introduced to someone.Example sentences
- I nodded and made the polite response, ‘It's nice to meet you too, Mr. Scotia.’
- As you shake hands, repeat the person's name to lock it into your memory: ‘Hi, Tiffany, so nice to meet you!’
- Well my reply is, I don't know James - and it is nice to meet you, by the way - but everyone says he is skeptical.
nice work if you can get it
- informal Used to express envy of what is perceived to be another person’s more favorable situation, especially if they seem to have reached it with little effort.Example sentences
- Don't get me wrong, it's nice work if you can get it.
- And, of course, he got so much dosh for playing God - nice work if you can get it - that all those millions mean he can have exactly what he wants, exactly when he wants it.
- The irony of Hit List is that relative to a lot of the soulless, depressing jobs people do in a consumer society, assassination really can seem like nice work if you can get it.