Definition of niello in English:
1A black compound of sulfur with silver, lead, or copper, used for filling in engraved designs in silver or other metals.
- It consists of a series of wide and narrow bands of rinceaux, arabesques, and garlands in niello and filigree, with one lower section including an arcade with figures.
- The object is then heated at a low temperature causing the niello to fuse, become viscous, and finally cement itself permanently to the metal.
- Along with enameling, decorating watches with niello was a common practice in the nineteenth century.
1.1Objects decorated with this.
- Example sentences
- The other series is decorated in a finer scrolling pattern against a black nielloed ground.
- The ornamentation of such objects was similar to that of the nielloed gold and silver ladles and cups produced at the Kremlin Armoury in the 16th to early 17th centuries.
- The upper level comprises the numerals and dividing circles which are polished and nielloed.
Definition of niello in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan