1A black compound of sulfur with silver, lead, or copper, used for filling in engraved designs in silver or other metals.
More example sentences
- It consists of a series of wide and narrow bands of rinceaux, arabesques, and garlands in niello and filigree, with one lower section including an arcade with figures.
- The object is then heated at a low temperature causing the niello to fuse, become viscous, and finally cement itself permanently to the metal.
- Along with enameling, decorating watches with niello was a common practice in the nineteenth century.
1.1Objects decorated with this.
- More example sentences
- The other series is decorated in a finer scrolling pattern against a black nielloed ground.
- The ornamentation of such objects was similar to that of the nielloed gold and silver ladles and cups produced at the Kremlin Armoury in the 16th to early 17th centuries.
- The upper level comprises the numerals and dividing circles which are polished and nielloed.
Definition of niello in:
- The British & World English dictionary